Resource scarcity

Aside from forestry products, the resources of highest significance to Asaleo Care’s manufacturing operations are air quality, energy and water.  We recognise the need to manage the use of these resources in a responsible manner across all our operations and employ strict policies and procedures to reduce the risk of water contamination from our sites.

Our investment in a new sustainability data reporting system during 2016 enables us to monitor and manage resource utilisation, emissions and waste at site, country and company levels more efficiently. This has already helped us to assess the future energy, emissions and water impact of various capital projects.

In 2015, we reported our energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions to air, fresh water use and discharges to water for all Company owned and operated sites for the first time.  We plan to set efficiency and performance targets and report against them in future years.

We limit greenhouse gas emissions through the use of renewable energy and efficiency activities. In particular, our tissue manufacturing site at Kawerau, in New Zealand, directly utilises geothermal steam, a renewable energy source.  Also, all our manufacturing and operational sites located in New Zealand take advantage of the country’s low-emissions electricity generation network. 

In 2016, geothermal steam use represented more than 13% of our total energy consumption.  Additionally, 9%[1] of our total energy consumption was sourced from electricity generated from renewable energy sources in New Zealand.  Our share of renewable energy due to our operations in New Zealand alone was 22%. 

In 2016, Asaleo Care set the benchmark for sustainable tissue manufacturing through the public release of Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs), for some of our Tork®, Purex® and Sorbent® toilet tissue and hand towel products manufactured at Kawerau, New Zealand.  This involved a life cycle assessment of these products to identify sources of greater environmental stewardship, resource efficiency and potential financial benefits. The assessment highlighted efficiencies such as the high share of renewable energy of up to 78% embodied in the products. Impressively, this figure includes all energy used in the supply chain and manufacturing operations, all transport fuels and energy in waste treatment – in short, all energy through the full life of our products, from ‘cradle to grave’. 

We were proud to be recognised at the 2016 NZI Sustainable Business Network Awards for our work to produce and release the first EPDs for tissue products in Australia and New Zealand.  When announcing the finalists, Rachel Brown, CEO of the Sustainable Business Network said, “These organisations and individuals are leading the transformation to a more sustainable New Zealand.”

Enviro Perf dataNote: Data in this table covers Asaleo Care’s manufacturing, distribution centre and sales operations, unless otherwise specified.


[1] New Zealand Energy Quarterly, January – September 2016 (MBIE: www.med.govt.nz), electricity from renewable energy sources equated to 84.0 % of total electricity generation.

[2] Direct fuel combustion from stationary and transport energy purposes. Excludes third-party logistics transport activities.

[3] Global Warming Potentials used for this report are sourced from the Australian National Greenhouse Accounts (NGA) Factors (August 2016), New Zealand Guidance for Voluntary Corporate Greenhouse Gas Reporting (December 2016), New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (effective from the 2013 reporting year) and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report (AR4) (2007). All documents are in alignment.

[4] Fresh water usage is reported for manufacturing sites only (i.e. Kawerau, Te Rapa, Box Hill, Springvale and Nakasi).

[5] BOD is reported for Asaleo Care’s Paper Mills only (i.e. Kawerau and Box Hill sites).